Plenty of Focus

I'm in the early stages of working with Thor, so today I decided to ask what He wants me to focus on:

I saw and drew Hagalaz - Shelter from the storm.  Thurisaz - Thor.  Kenaz - Guidance.  

Thor said that while I am in my shelter, to focus on studying:

  1. Runic Magik, focusing on healing (I've been wanting a book on runic healing!)
  2. Runes
  3. Ogham
  4. Confidence
And to start wearing Mjolnir.

First, the Hagalaz storm shelter that I'm in is a period of grief and healing.  My mom died back in October and she and I had a complicated relationship, and I've been healing from all of the crisis and trauma.  I've also been instructed to do no magik--unless it's an emergency.  It's also been a bit of a fallow period with many of my deities, save for Hekate and Odin, and recently Thor.  This has been my storm shelter: no magik, surrendering to my Gods, letting thing go, and just flowing.  No rushing, no future plans, to be present and patient.  And to focus on runes, ogham, seidr, and ADF.

Second, I was just at my Norse Shrine before sitting down to divine.  On the shrine is a Mjolnir pendant that I gave to my husband many Yule's ago.  I don't wear Mjolnir, because I'm not a devotee of Thor and have never felt an urge to wear it.  

Now Thor's asking me to wear it.  Okie dokie.  I'll look for one at House of Ravenwood this weekend.

Then Odin came through and asked, "Can Freyr come play?"

That's the first time a deity has asked to join me, usually They just show up.  Freyr is a Fertility God--body, mind, and spirit.  I said sure, as long as He ain't trying to knock me up.  Human hubby is neutered, and we'd like to keep it that way.

Unless it's fertility in mind and spirit!  Let's go!

So I asked what Freyr was bringing to the table:
  • Transitions
  • Joy
  • Healing
I sat there and thought about Him asking for permission.  I thought about how important it is to have similar conversations with yourself.  Giving yourself permission and allowance to do things to bring that joy and healing.  

I accepted Freyr.  


I've been reading Gods and Myths of Northern Europe by H.R. Ellis Davidson--excellent book btw (I'm on page 92).  I just finished a chapter about Thor, which was very enlightening.  I learned a lot about this Storm God:

  • His associations with fire, blessing newborns, marriages, and funeral ships.
  • How far His worship spread throughout Europe and how long it lasted. How some Christians would still ask for His protection during sea travels.
  • That Mjolnir is a symbol of protection against evil and violence. Had a shorter handle (because of Loki), but better for throwing.
  • Hammers and axes represented thunder and lightning.
  • Great gold and silver armbands would be dedicated to Thor.
  • He's a Sky God, born from the Earth, and was important for agriculture, too.
  • Oaks would get struck by lightning more than other trees, so Oak Groves became sacred places for Thor and similar deities. (I also learned about various 'Oak worshipping religions' in various European cultures in A Brief History of the Druids by Peter Berresford Ellis, which I found fascinating, too).
  • That some of his more comical stories may have been written later, when Christianity was more popular, and may have been written more for entertainment (this book was written in 1964, so I'm not sure that this theory is correct).

I don't know much about Thor, just a little bit from the poems and sagas that I've read. Myth Thor just seemed like a drunken, raging meat-head Jotun killer (not all Jotun are evil). Obviously He's a lot more than that, and I like that this chapter didn't just tell His story from the sagas and poems, but also from the culture, archeology, and historical accounts. I got to see a different side–more protector, less hot-tempered toxic God.
 
I know from personal experience that there are huge differences between the Myth Deities and the Real Deities. I'm in the early stages of working with Thor, and I'm seeing a different side than what's represented in the myths. The Thor that I'm getting to know is very protective--like reactively protective. Like you need some protection, Thor's right there to offer His services.

Do you know who's after Thor in this book?

A God of Plenty--Freyr.  

I just never connected fertility with plenty for some reason until I read that chapter name.  Of course, you want fertile grounds for plenty of harvest.  Duh me!

So I'm excited to learn more about Freyr, especially since I just accepted Him into my life.  Let's Gooooo!

- Dedicant & Hearth Keeper Foxlyn

Comments