Book Reviews 1/3 Finished

More intense spiritual shit happened this weekend, my friends.  I'm still tired despite the self-care.  I guess today is another day of rest.  I did finish one of my Book Reviews for the Dedicant Path yesterday, which I'm super happy about.  But I also learned that I need to finish all three to turn them in, ALTHOUGH 350 words isn't that long of an essay, so I could easily go back to another book that I attempted to read for another category, I'm happy to report.  

I've struggled with these Book Reviews.  I've done book reports, of course, but a book review?  I didn't really know how to take notes, despite the numerous examples.  Some people said to summarize each chapter, but like the word limit is 350 words...  Others said that the Reviewers just wanted to see that you read the book.  Like, okay?  How do I show that in essay form?  Luckily I really enjoyed reading Gods and Myths of Northern Europe by HR Ellis Davidson, so it was easy talking about why I liked it and some of the stories that I liked, and how it helped me understand some of the stories better.  I also had a friend read my review and asked them if, base on it, they were interested in reading that book.  "Actually, yeah!"

Oh?  That's how you write a book review?  Okay, I got this.  

I'm reading Circle Of Frith: A Devotional to Frigg and Her Handmaidens by Troth Rev. Maire Durkan right now, which isn't ADF homework.  Just for funsies, because it's important to give yourself fun breaks.  But after this one I'm going to start reading my pick for the Modern Paganism Book Review: Being a Pagan: Druids, Wiccans, and Witches Today by Ellen Evert Hopman.

An older book...again.  I really wish ADF would update their book lists.  There's scholar books out there with updated evidence, theories, and terminology, and more progressive terminology.  Yet they stick to these old dated books, even though there's far better resources out there.  Yall want to be inclusive...update your booklist's.  Like you can include these older ones, but also provide us with options for updated sources.  Some people ain't gonna read something that ain't recommended, which means they may be stuck with outdated information--misinformation, dare I say.

Whatever, I don't have the skill to write a paper to argue.  I'm an avid reader, I'll find and read those updated books on my own time.  Although a LOT of us Dedicants (current and former) agree that the book lists need to be updated.  I believe some have talked to whomever in charge of the lists--and I've only heard rumors of being stuck in their ways and rumors of them re-examining the lists.

I haven't read this book yet, only looked at some of the reviews and a lot say that it's just dated.  Some good information, especially for the time that it was written, but dated, which makes sense obviously.    I'm hoping that it's not as dated as Margot Alder's Drawing Down the Moon, which a lot of people still praise.  It's not a bad book, it's just not all correct.  Again, good for when it was written, but outdated, misinformation now.  But only because the Paganism movement has grown and evolved, and more folks are more open to talking about their traditions to smash out the assumptions and misinformation.  Alder's book isn't bad, just a little outdated.  It happens.  More people are sharing now and their information should be taught over the older books.

Being a Pagan was written in '96.  It's a THICK book, too--350 pages.

'96 I was about 12?  I was a BABY pagan, a lil Witchling!  I only had one book--a Wiccan book--at the time.  I didn't know what it was, and my parents just thought it was another fantasy book, so they let me get it.  I read it until it fell apart, but I can't remember the title or author unfortunately.  I thought it was Gerina Dunwich's Wicca Candle Magik or whatever it's called, but I don't think that book was published when I was 10.  I also read a greek mythology book that I got from scholastic books in elementary school--one that helped me discover Hestia--one that I still have.  Outdated information and tailored to kids, but I still cherish it.  I don't let my kids read it, though.  They have updated, although still kid friendly, mythology books.  It's all well and good to keep and cherish those older books, but new evidence, theories, terminology...let's provide those better resources for the next generation of pagans, yeah?

Anyway, that's where I'm at right now.  Just trying to get through the Book Reviews, because they are the most difficult for me.  I just want get them checked off the essay list, without them weighing heavily on me as I try to work on other essays.

All that being said, I shall read Being a Pagan and form my own opinions!  Not all older books are super outdated, nor are all dated books bad.  I do understand the importance of reading older books, too.  Obviously these books were selected for a reason.  

Also Pagans/Witch/whatever are notorious for not being able to agree on things (and for not like being told what to do), especially when it comes to different traditions, magiks, and hell even mythology.  There's a lot of infighting under the Pagan Umbrella, same with most other groups.  Lots of differing opinions and research--we're human.  Differences makes the world interesting and hopefully more driven to want to understand, learn and evolve, however that evolution looks.

Also I'm rambling.  I tend to do that when I first wake up.  I've also realized that I've been complaining a lot about the booklist, so this will hopefully be the last time.  I don't want this blog to be a whiny blog, or for the books that I've selected (from the large selection) to ruin the experience for me.  Some-and-done--can't really say One-and-Done since I've complained so much, either way.

Let's just shut up and read!

Hey ADF is talked about in Being a Pagan.

- Dedicant and Hearth Keeper Foxlyn Wren

Comments