Pagan Virtue #1: Wisdom

 When I travel, I like to bring my study material with me.  On Saturday, I decided to re-start working on the 9 Pagan Virtues.  I started on them last year, working with Garanis and tarot cards.  I wrote reflections and attempted to write my first essay. 

The essay wasn't all that successful, but I kept at it over the months, while also focusing on other essays.  Even though these Virtues were very similar to the Maxims that I picked and followed, clearly I needed to spend more time with them. I plan on spending a week with each Virtue.

Over the weekend, I began with Wisdom.  I wrote down the meaning from Our Own Druidry.  I wrote down my own shorter interpretation, and I wrote down Spirit of Wisdom by Rev. Dangler.  I sat with these words for a bit, then I started reflecting and just writing down whatever came to me.

Wisdom
Don't be reactive
Pick Your Battles
Listen to understand, not to Respond

Spirit of Wisdom
By Rev. Dangler
I followed the path down to the waters,
Meeting a crossroad, a choice to be made.
I stood for a time, and thought of direction,
Wondering which way was right, and which was not.

I know the old stories, the tales of the ancients:
They tell of the path one should take.
And I listened to them, their voice on the wind.
And found deep within me the right way.

Their wisdom is solid, their experience deep,
But their paths are not always our best.
Instead of their path, known to reveal the Waters,
A New One I forged through the trees.

Spirit of Wisdom, you show me the road,
But your way is not blind obedience.
Help me to see all the paths laid out,
And travel safely down the one that is right for me.

  • Good judgment of people and situations.

  • Discernment.

  • Waters - Underworld - Ancestors

  • Seeking them for wisdom and guidance

  • Listening, Understanding, Processing

  • Appreciating

  • Making the decision, though new and scary, for yourself.

  • Choosing a new path.  Like Cycle Breaking.  When I cut Jeff out of my life years ago, I sought wisdom from our Ancestors.  I listened and processed.  I pushed toxic, unhealthy opinions away.  I made my own choice.  New, Different, Scary.  Lots of guilt, shame from others, fear, gaslighting, manipulation attempts.  I stayed focused, remembering why I was doing this.  I lost a lot more family than I thought I would.  Ultimately it was the best decision for me–those people were not safe and did not have my best interests in mind.  Taught me about the power and bravery of choosing me--my peace and mental health, instead of continuing to self-sacrifice for theirs.

  • Choosing a new path.  Like leaving Facebook after 18 years.  What it means for my business, what it means for my friends and family connections.  The conveniences and the things I'll miss.  No longer checking FB first thing in the morning.  Doom scrolling throughout the day.  Getting upset over misinformation and things that are meant to enrage you (will not miss that!).  I'll miss the photos and updates of my friends and family, and I'll have to hunt for those events for my business, but it's going to be better for my mental health and tech addictions.  Again, the power of choosing me.

  • Choosing a new path.  Like choosing to focus on Joy, instead of Fear.  Acceptance over assumptions.

  • Listening over talking.

  • Listening over judgment.

  • Pick your battles.

  • Walk away from certain situations and people.  

  • Choose to not engage.

  • Autism and Overstimulation.

  • Autism and Meltdowns.

  • Autism and Stimming.

  • Resting

  • Toys and music

  • Earplugs and books

  • Solitaire and Bananagrams

  • CBD and Deep Breaths.

  • Emotional Intelligence.

  • Un- and Re- Learning.

Show me an Elder Futhark rune for Wisdom:  

I was shown Ansuz - Breath, Wisdom, Blessings.

I pulled Uruz - Strength, Good Health.

  • Choosing me over them.

  • Listening to Understand.

  • Listening instead of Reacting.

Takes strength, discipline, courage, self awareness, accountability, and compassion for others and yourself.

After this study session, I asked Freyr for advice for the day and I drew Wunjo and Uruz.  Joy and Strength.  The Strength to trust in and focus on Joy.  There are no falling boots, no traps.  Just love and joy.  Anxiety is a liar.  Choose a new path, instead of repeating those old toxic footfalls.  Try something new and scary.

- Dedicant and Hearth Keeper, Foxlyn Wren


---------------------
Resources

  1. Ar nDraiocht Fein.  Our Own Druidry.  2009.
  2. Dangler, Michael.  Song of the Flame: A Devotional Prayerbook.  2020.

Comments