The First Day of Summer Will Soon Be Here!


The Summer Solstice is in a couple of days and I'm excited. I've been feeling the Norse Solar Goddess Sunna poking at me over the last few months. I'm working on a kid-friendly ritual to honor Her with my family, without the wasps and sudden possession this time!

Yes, last year, I hosted a Summer Solstice ritual with a local group (before I had joined ADF).  We had the ritual in a shelter at Delaware State Park (Ohio) and I was unknowingly standing under a wasp nest that was beneath a sign.  I was stung 5 times--once on my thumb and 4 on my thigh.  Some of the attendees were surprised by how I handled it.  I wasn't crying, cursing, or hating the wasps or myself.  After some ice and a few minutes to sit, I just moved the altar and continued.  Don't get me wrong, it hurt!  But whether I was sitting or performing the rite, it'd still be hurting, so I decided to go on with ritual that I had worked so hard on planning.  Honestly, the worst part of the stings came in the following days!

Summer Solstice 2023

As for the "sudden possession" part, the Goddess Sunna actually possessed me to change the course of the ritual.  I had planned on summer fun with ribbon rings that everyone made with the kids, but Sunna had other plans.  Instead it turned into a protection rite.  Hours after the ritual, I learned that one of the attendees spouses had been in a terrible accident, and emerged with only a sore neck!  

Sometimes rites definitely won't go as planned...and especially if you're a conduit like me.  Deities just be jumping in for emergencies!

We're also having a cookout and I'm going to bake a strawberry chocolate gluten-free cake in the shape of a sun. I hope it's delicious.  You know, I think I'm going to involve the ribbon rings that we weren't able to use last year!

Once I finish my ADF COoR Style Summer Solstice ritual, you'll be able to find it on the Rituals Page.

For those who celebrate, do you have any plans for the Solstice? (Summer Solstice for the Northern Hemisphere and Winter Solstice in the Southern Hemisphere.)  Any plans, activities, questions? 

(If you're unable to comment on blogspot, you can comment on Hearth Fox Oracle's Facebook or Instagram.)

- Dedicant and Hearth Keeper, Foxlyn 

Comments