How My Vestalia is Going & A Book Review

 This is a Copy/Paste from my Hearth Fox Blog:

Boo! I've been sick this Vestalia and haven't been able to do my usual stuff, minus a deep spiritual cleanse of my home and a re-warding. First I cleansed my home by asking the Norse Solar Goddess Sunna to cleanse my property and vehicle with sunlight. Then I went inside and opened the windows and curtains for that spring breeze and sunshine. The weather has actually been pretty nice this Vestalia, with temps in the 60's-75F. I've been spending a lot of time outside resting, reading, and crocheting.

Inside, I lit the sage bundle by saying, "In the names of Hestia-Vesta and the Vestals, I light this sage to cleanse my home of all unwanted energies and entities. You are not wanted here and must leave!" I walked my home counterclockwise to banish those unwanted energies. Then I declared what energies and entities are welcome.

I cleansed the home again with energy, to get those pesky nooks and crannies, like under my trailer.

Next, I re-warded and recharged the layers of protections that I have over my home and property, like sprinkling blessed water inside my home and blessed black salt outside of my home. And smearing blessed ash on each family members foreheads.

I'd say in terms of importance, cleansing and protections are the most important tasks of my Vestalia. So, check, I guess!

Normally I have the ritual and feast day on the 9th, but I wasn't able to do so, however, there's still 4 days left. This is my 10th Vestalia, so I want to make it special, I'm just not sure how yet.

In lieu of not being able to do my usual tasks, I bought a children's book called Goddess Girls: Hestia the Invisible by Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams. It's a middle grade level chapter book, 244 pages, well worth the $8 I spent. It's a cute story in a series that focuses on different Greek Goddesses as students in school (the authors also has a series on Greek Gods and Norse Goddesses, too). The authors ignore myth bloodlines and marital problems, minus Zeus as father of Athena, and Artemis and Apollo beings twins. They've kept some aspects of the myths, like the symbols and abilities of each deity and things like Heracules' tasks. It's just a cute retelling for kids and teens.


I bought the book because trying to find anything on Hestia or Vesta is difficult (more so for Hestia, than Vesta), minus the same ole same old regurgitated information. I always attribute that to Hestia not involving Herself in drama. She focuses on what's really important in life--family and taking care of people. The authors touch a bit on Her not being well known due to Hestia's humility (and shyness). I really liked their take on the hospitable, caring, and compassionate Hestia when it comes to people she cares about. You read about it in mythology, but it's nice to see Hestia as a character in action, that imagery just clicks better in my brain.

I have kids from 1st grade to 6th grade, and I like to check out some books before they do, especially if those books are about deities. No demonizing of the gods and no use of Christian terminology like evil, devil, or demons, basically. "Daimon" is one thing, because that means "Spirit". Demon is another--that's a fear mongering bastardization of "Daimon". No sneaky fear mongering or hate. None of that crap that some authors sneak in--like those who equate Loki, Hekate, or witches with the Christian Devil. Once I read a Norse mythology book for kids and when it got to Ragnarok and "evil Loki and his demonic horde of devils", I did not purchase that book. Nope! I read mythology/retelling books first before allowing my kids to read them. There's just too much hate, ignorance, and fear in the world, and my kids don't need to see their deities as evil and bad - pagans get enough of that crap in real life. I also don't want my kids to be afraid of death, magic, witches, ghosts, or whatever an author deems as scary and bad.

No thanks!

When they're older and understand that a fiction author is telling a story from their perspective and are not experts or end-all be-alls, then they can read those stories if they want.

At least with Hestia the Invisible I don't have to worry about that kind of language! It's all very kid-friendly.

I also picked this book for my own Inner Child. Every once in a while, I enjoy the teen and young adult genres! They're not usually as chaotic and complicated as the adult genres (although even as a 7th-8th grader, I was reading Anne Rice, sooo...). Sometimes it's nice to not have so much trauma in a story--at least not as triggering. There are some YA books that deal with trauma, too, and some authors are really good story tellers and with relating to their target audience.

No matter the subject, reading children/teen/YA genres is soothing to my Inner Child. The stories are usually easier to comprehend with my learning disabilities. I dunno, it just makes Little Me happy. It's good to take breaks from serious, scholarly books, ya know? Give your brain some fun!

I enjoy writing Pagan Children stories for my kids, and hope to be an children's author one day. So I think it's important to stay in touch with the genre, ya know?

I love Hestia-Vesta. They were my second deity (Sister Moon was the first). Hestia-Vesta's been walking with me since I was about 8-years-old. She's my Spiritual Mother and Mentor. I am a Child, a Hearth Keeper, and a Vestal. Whatever tasteful stories I can find, I'd like to give em a read--just not people with a name, I mean empowering, non-erotic stories about the goddesses Hestia and Vesta. I like historic mythology and modern mythology/retellings.

I related to little Hestia! She was painfully shy and unsure of the difference between confidence and arrogance--I definitely struggle with this. What's arrogant bragging and what's just being proud of something you've done? Hestia was also told to not dim her fire. This past year I've been learning how to not dim my fire out of fear of rejection and judgement, and to shine brightly for myself--to be my authentic self! A lot that Hestia dealt with, I've also dealt with as a kid and an adult!

This story was fun, relatable, with simple achievable messages and goals, and no agendas for any kid. Just (god)kids being (god)kids and dealing with real issues that kids deal with like anxiety, shyness, making friends, and personal growth. I do recommend it, be you a kid or a kid at heart. I'm planning on checking out more of Joan Holub's series'; I've got Hecate the Witch and Freya and the Magic Jewel waiting in a cart.

I really love cover art of Hestia, too. Last night I was really upset about something and my anxiety was making it difficult to fall asleep. Hestia the Invisible kept popping up, so I focused on that image and it calmed me down, and helped me fall asleep. <3

- Dedicant and Hearth Keeper Foxlyn

Comments